Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tuesday June 12 - Part 2 - My visit to San Francisco University

Coming from the south of Quito, I had no idea how long it would take because of traffic, and I ended up arriving an hour and 45 minutes early.  Oh well.  I walked around campus just to get a feel.  I visited a few classrooms which appear to support the lecture mode of teaching best.

At about 3 p.m. I met with the following: Carlos Montúfar (Vicerrector - which translates to deputy to the vice-chancellor of a university), Víctor Viteri (Decano del Colegio de Postgrados), Fausto Pasway (Coordinador de Ingeniería de Sistemas), and Eduardo Alba (Coordinador del Departamento de Matemáticas).

We talked for at least an hour.  It was almost like an oral defense/examination.  They were trying to determine if I would be worth there time this fall.

In the end, I have a job at San Francisco starting August 22.  They are interested in having me do the following:

  • Teach a data structures class with about seven students - here I'll introduce program proving/formal verification
  • Work with Professor Alba and his upper level math students to understand analysis of algorithms
  • Help them with learning how to write learning outcomes for assessment purposes - assessment is playing a bigger part here - in preparation for accreditation
  • Do peer review of some junior faculty members and train them on how to do their own peer review
  • Introduce them to the concept of an Informatics degree
My research with the Resolve/Reusable Software Research Group and more recently my work as the Director of our teaching and learning center is coming in handy.


No comments:

Post a Comment